Poor Vanessa! She is really down in the dumps tonight and I don't blame her. I wish there was a way to solve the problem....! After homeschool, french lessons and my adventure to a clothing store (I will talk about that later), we went out to the beach. Vanessa hates the beach because she draws so much attention from all the Moroccan men, boys, "entrepenuers", young children, EVERYONE!! With the swimming pool looking like a swamp from Jurassic Park, the beach has become the only place the boys can burn off a lot of energy and they make so many friends. There just aren't any other open places around for the boys to run and play. Anyway, we went out to the beach, which wasn't nearly as crowded as yesterday and Vanessa had great hopes that she would be able to play with the boys like she had earlier this week. As we reached the beach, the boys realized that they hadn't brought the soccer ball. No one wanted to go back to the apartment to get it, so they decided to just play in the ocean. Vanessa will not wear a swimming suit to the beach, never does her hair and never wears any make-up out the beach--the one time she did, she was nearly bombarded with boys wanting to talk to her and find out what country she was from. It makes her so angry! On Wednesday, when we were with Lyn, I was offered 60 camels for Vanessa. I told them 60,000 camels and their eyebrows shot up. Vanessa about killed me--she asked if I would have really given her to them for 60,000 camels. Oh, brother. I wish she were able to laugh it off. It scares her so bad. Unfortunately, laughing at them only makes them want to entertain you more, so we'll have to think of something else and just continue with our "get lost" routine.
The boys headed out into the waves and we sat watching them from the beach. I went out into the water to cool off and about froze in the water, but it did feel nice to not be overheated (sorry family that is freezing at home!). They played in the waves for quite a while and then Mitchell said that he and Robby wanted to go and get the ball. We were very near our apartment and I could see them the entire way, so I said ok. Anyway, we were sitting there talking when up came a Moroccan with dred-locks, no less. He asked where we were from--that's always the first question after they realize we're not French. And then said, "Is this your daughter?"..."Yes"..."Oh, she is beautiful! I would like to marry her if you wouldn't mind." I then said that she was too young and he needed to go away. He said, "I am too young too, but I would like to take her home to meet my family and she can live with me." I then got very firm and told him to go away and leave us alone. Then he had a big smile and said, "I am just teasing. Have a good day." I told him "GOOD-BYE!" He went away. Vanessa was so furious, she just wanted to spit sand. She wanted to go back to the apartment, but didn't want to move because she didn't want anyone to look at her. I told her we would go back and she said no--she just wanted to stay put. When she gets angry, nothing makes sense. I made her get up and we walked like we were going to go home. Mitchell and Robby were coming back from the apartment with the soccer ball and wanted to play for a few mintues. Vanessa was ok with this, so we sat down to watch them play. The ball developed this magnetic force pulling all young Moroccan boys to us as soon as it was set down on the sand and kicked once between our boys. Vanessa knew this was not good for her and Will was thirsty, so they went up to the apartment. She was madder than a wet hen and needed to go to the apartment to cool down. It's very frustrating for her, because if she gets dressed up, she gets attention that she does not want in any way, shape or form. She doesn't care that Jason and I get rid of the boys, etc. very quickly. She just plain doesn't want it to happen, ever, for any reason. I don't blame her and we try to build her confidence, yet realize that she's dead on correct--as far as all the attention--we just have to deal with it while we are here and not become hermits to avoid it. She does like it when we are with all the boys, because then they get all the attention and she's barely acknowledged.
Robby made his first friend his age while playing soccer. I didn't get any pictures today, because I spent all of the time videoing them playing. It was very cute. Robby's friends were Abibe, Hussan and Mohammad. They rolled the ball back and forth, kicked it to each other and played with the boys' older brothers a little. Robby was so thrilled there was finally a boy exactly his age, with his skill level and who didn't overwhelm him with his soccer prowess.
It's very interesting. Whenever the boys make friends--the Moroccans treat the boys so nicely and act very protective of them. Between soccer games on the beach, when they run to the ocean to cool off--without any formal organization, the strong swimmers go with Mitchell, the ok swimmers have a great time with Reggie and another group stays with Robby and Will near the beach, just playing and splashing in the water, so everyone is having a good time and no one is getting hurt. They will not allow Robby and Will to go out to the deeper water--this could have two reasons: 1. They cannot swim or 2. They are worried that Robby or Will will drown and they protect them. It's very cute and so friendly. Everyone watches out for the boys to keep them happy, included and safe.
After everyone was sufficiently worn out, we went back to the apartment. Jason was still at the job site. It was a huge day for the job. The skin for the dome was rolled out and checked to make sure everything was ready for inflating it--hopefully on Monday. There were more than 60 Moroccans and Jason said it was a real gong show. Everything had to be pantomimed out for them to do anything. They had to have safety after safety lesson, so the Moroccan's would get themselves hurt. But one huge success had to do with the crane they have out at the site. There is a weazily little Spaniard named Carlos who has been unethical and basically a liar the entire time. Two weeks ago, the reverse on the crane went out. Jason told him that in two weeks, they would be inflating the dome and if the crane didn't work, they wouldn't be able to do the job. Carlos said that he would get it fixed. Well, instead of fixing the crane, the little weazle rented out the crane to someone else, so it could continue generating revenue. When Jason checked with him a week ago, Carlos lied and said that it was almost repaired and then when Jason told him, yesterday, that the crane needed to be brought out today, Friday, Carlos, admitted what he had done and said that Jason was just going to have to make it work without it's ability to go in reverse. Jason blew a gasget!! He called the head honchos over the Moroccan building permits, or something, and told them that he needed their help. The job would be put completely on hold and nothing would progress unless he had a functioning crane and they would have to keep paying everyone when no one was able to do any work. Well, they told Carlos that if he didn't get Jason a crane that worked, he could take all of his cranes (which total 4 at the job site) and get out! This would kill Carlos' business! Within hours, Jason said that Carlos had a better crane than before, at the same old price out at the job site. He was shocked and thrilled. Tender mercies, tender mercies. If either the skin had had holes or been damaged in some way, or if the crane had not been functionable. The job would have come to a screetching halt. Heavenly Father is blessing us at every turn!
Because Jason wasn't back yet and everyone was hungry and it was Friday and I was NOT going to cook, I told the kids we would walk to Pizza Hut. Of course there were the obligatory whines, etc., but playing the part of a good sargeant, out they went. Vanessa decided that this was just the icing on the cake for a bad day. We got so many stares, she was in tears until I pointed out they weren't always looking at her--they were looking at the number of children I had. This boyed up her spirits a little, but she would just about melt away, if anyone looked at her or smiled. She loops her arm through mine every time we're in public. This is not abnormal for Morocco--all women are linked with a daughter or friend when out strolling or shopping. So, Vanessa feels normal doing it and she gets VERY angry with her brothers if they try to hold my hand or get in her way of being able to stay linked to me.
They were surprised at how close Pizza Hut was. I had gone there that afternoon, trying to buy a couple of beautiful blouses I had found on Wednesday, but all the stores were closed because it was Friday and everyone was at mosque. Jason met us at Pizza Hut for our regular meal and then we got ice cream cones along the beach from a little stand. When we told Jason about the marriage proposals on the beach, Jason was able to make Vanessa laugh a little when he told her that she will be all practiced up for college when the return missionaries come calling.
I didn't think Jason was getting me ice cream and I was full from the pasta dish I had had and was commenting to the kids asking who would like to share mine. About then two little girls came up and were asking for money...they pointed to my ice cream (it was in a waffle cone with whip cream and chocolate fudge swirled on top. I asked them if they would like it and held it out to them. They nodded their head vigerously and took it. Then started eating as fast as they could. Our kids just stood there dumbfounded. They were shocked that anyone would ask for someone elses food and then take it and eat it. They laughed and laughed and talked about it the rest of the night. Germs, personal space, tact, and shyness are not a part of the culture. We walked over to the leather shop where Vanessa and I had tried on the coats. I still like the white one on the Ness, but she still loves the bomber jacket and wants it made in white. Jason was so worn out by this time, that he wouldn't even try anything one. I didn't blame him too much because he was still in his work clothes that were dirty and he needed a shower. The guy there is very nice and fun to work with. Vanessa is so excited about the jacket.
There was something that I wrote home about that I didn't want to forget--it has nothing to do with anything I've talked about so far in this blog entry, but I just didn't want to forget. It is so strange here--there are NO ADDRESSES. You just live in a certain section of town and then where you live is according to the major landmarks around you. I think about how people make fun of Idahoans and how they say things like....turn right at the big red barn, go past 3 houses and it's the one on the left...That is nothing to the directions given for places here. For example, we are trying to find a tailor to make a suit for Mitchell. The directions given to us were...go to the area with a large mosque in the middle of town (there are four mosques in the middle of town). It is in the area of two butchers (I have seen butchers on nearly every corner) and four fabric shops (there is fabric in nearly every store in Agadir) on the west side of the mosque! We gave these directions to the taxi driver (shockingly he didn't just laugh his head off and say there is no way to find this) he just looked and looked and asked person after person and 30 minutes later we still could not find the tailor. Amine has finally found us one--he was tailor to the king here, so the suit will be great I hope! But once again, there are no addresses--Amine is just taking us there so we are able to find it. OK, back to today.
After this, we went back to the apartment. Mitchell, Robby and I went down to the Minibrauheim to get milk, cereal, water and bread and then we came back and watched a terrible movie for kids. Jason had downloaded an old, classic Marlin Brando, black and white movie, that Jason thought everyone would love. It was about the mob and lots of people got killed and Reggie is now awake saying that he's having nightmares. I could just shoot Jason! We'll all survive I'm sure. It's almost 2 a.m., everyone is now asleep and I think I'll go to bed too!